Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Finally, Silhouette

I got my Silhouette Cameo for Christmas two years ago, but I have only just started using it. Crazy, I know! I guess I was intimidated by it, so it was easier just to let it sit and gather dust rather than attempt to use it.

After seeing so many neat projects out there in blogland, I bit the bullet and decided to go for broke. Now I'm so glad I did, and I have lots more projects I want to make. Here are the projects I have done so far:


"Welcome" vinyl sign for our front door


Vinyl lettering for dog and cat food containers


Vinyl labels for my Flour, Sugar and Brown Sugar containers.


In addition, I used the Silhouette to cut out a stencil so that I could make this cute burlap garden flag:


Tutorial for this project can be found HERE.  I used white contact paper instead of the more expensive vinyl to cut out my stencil and it worked perfectly. 

Here are some things I learned along the way:
  • Vinyl can be expensive - the best place to buy it is on the internet.  I ordered some from Amazon, but Expressions Vinyl has good deals too.
  • In order to peel away your design, you will need some type of transfer tape. I used clear contact paper and it worked wonderfully, and is much less expensive than buying transfer tape from Silhouette or another source. I also saw suggestions on line that said you could use blue painters tape or even Press N Seal, but I have not tried either of those methods yet.
  • You need to make sure that whatever medium you are using is securely underneath the rollers, or else it will not cut straight (ask me how I know this). If you are using the cutting mat, you shouldn't have this problem - it usually happens when you load the vinyl in without the mat.
  • There are lots of great tutorials and videos out there to help with the learning curve for this machine. Silhouette has a blog with lots of projects, and Pinterest has lots of great info too. 

I plan on labeling lots more stuff in my home, as well as making subway art, using the heat transfer vinyl, and cutting fabric too. Stay tuned!





3 comments :

FlyAwayHome said...

GIRL...... two years ago!!!! I thought we were becoming friends, but no friend of mine would have never let a silhouette sit and collect dust for two years!!! :). Glad you finally dug it out. Your projects are great. I have been wanting a silhouette for a while...just having a hard time giving up the $'s. thanks for the tips

Unknown said...

Wow! It all looks great. Thank you for linking my Flag Tutorial! I love the way it all turned out :)

Sandy said...

Lucy, I know, 2 years is horrible! I am kicking myself now, believe me :)

Nicole, thanks for such a great tutorial. I think I will make a flag for my MIL next.